Festive Fitness: How Much Exercise to Burn off Your Favorite Christmas Foods
- The most calorific festive food is the Christmas Pudding (305 kcals) taking 1,445 squats to burn off one serving
- In second place is the nations’ favourite – Pigs in Blanket (280 kcals), with 430 burpees needed to burn off one serving
- Rounding off the top 15 is the love-them-or-hate-them Brussel Sprouts (45 kcals), with only a 4-minute jog required to burn off a serving
With the timeless phrase “why not, it’s Christmas?” uttered throughout the festive season, is it any wonder many of us come to regret overindulgence in the New Year when the Christmas weight just won’t budge.
With this in mind, the experts at GolfSupport.com decided to look into how many exercises we’d have to do to burn off our favourite festive foods.
After finding the top 15 most popular Christmas foods, GolfSupport.com calculated the average calories per serving to find out how many squats, burpees, lunges, planks, and jogs you would have to do to burn those Christmas calories off.
The most calorific festive food item is Christmas Pudding at 305 calories per serving. To burn this off, GolfSupport calculated you would have to do 1,445 squats, 460 burpees, 578 lunges, 29 1-minute planks or jog for 29 minutes.
Just behind is the nations’ favourite Pigs in Blankets, at 280 calories per serving. To burn a serving of Pigs in Blankets off you would need to do 1,350 squats, 430 burpees, 532 lunges, 27 1-minute planks or 27 minutes of jogging.
In third place is a serving of Bread and Cheese, with approximately 945 squats needed! Followed by Yorkshire Puddings in fourth place. In fifth place is the dish that makes every Christmas dinner complete, Roast Potatoes, which would require the nation to jog for 17 minutes in an effort to burn one serving off.
At the bottom of the list is Roasted Chestnuts. To burn off one serving of this festive treat, you would need to do 315 squats. Just behind Roasted Chestnuts is Candy Canes, with only 5 1-minute planks needed to burn one off
Finally, rounding off the top 15, is the love-them-or-hate-them, Brussel Sprouts. A 4-minute jog will burn this smelly serving off!
- GolfSupport.com used https://www.eatthismuch.com/ to help calculate the average calories per serving for each food.
- GolfSupport.com then used https://www.spotebi.com/exercise-guide/ to find the calories burned per minute for squats, burpees, lunges, planks and jogging. Using this rate, they were able to calculate the number of minutes for each exercise type required to burn the estimated calories.